Few realize that indoor air can be 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air. Hence below mentioned list of Best Air Purifiers are designed to ensure that we breathe cleaner, healthier air indoors.
We take 24,000 breaths a day & breathe in roughly 13-14 kgs of air, which is 7 times more air than the food we eat or the water we drink, yet the air we breathe is taken for granted. Though occasional hazards like smog and visible air pollution catches our attention, the issue of everyday indoor air quality often goes unnoticed, especially indoors at our homes or place of work.
An air purifier is a compact device that removes dust, smoke, pet hair and dander, harmful allergens and various other floating impurities from the air. It ensures that the air you breathe is pure.
Why should you consider using an Air Purifier?
- Indoor air is 10-30 times more polluted than outdoor air.
- Contaminated with dust, pet hair and dander, particulate matter, soot, microbes, etc.
- Household products, such as deodorants, cleaning products, inkjet printers, etc., also contribute to indoor air pollution.
- According to WHO, 4.3 million premature deaths are a result of household air pollution from multiple sources and poor ventilation.
- 50% of deaths for children under 5 years of age is attributed to poor air quality.
- 13 of the top 20 cities with poor air quality are in India.
- Affects mostly young children and old people.
- Clean indoor air can increase lifespan by up to 5 years on average.
- Clean air can prevent chronic diseases like asthma, lung cancer, pneumonia, allergies, etc.
Which are the Best Air Purifiers in India for 2020?
Apart from being best, they are also Top Selling Air Purifiers in India, Click below to view on amazon.
Which are the top brands for Air Purifiers in India?
- Bacteria and viruses can cause infections and worsen allergies.
- Pet dander can cause allergies leading to rhinitis or asthma.
- Dust mites can be found on bedding in homes & can trigger asthma. Highly humid areas are more susceptible to dust mites.
- Moulds can cause irritation and allergic reactions in sensitive people.
- Pollen are released by trees, weeds and plants and are carried indoors by wind, on clothes, or through open windows. It can trigger allergy symptoms.
- Cigarette smoke and cooking fumes can cause respiratory problems including asthma.
- Paint fumes contain formaldehyde which is a harmful chemical. Prolonged or high exposure to paint and paint fumes can cause headaches, trigger allergies and asthmatic reactions, irritate skin, nose and airways. There is a significant association between formaldehyde exposure and childhood asthma.
- Eliminate or minimize source of air pollution
- Improve cross ventilation
- Get one of the best air purifier, suitable to need to cleanse the air
- Ensure kitchen or cooking area is adequately ventilated
- Minimize use of air fresheners
- Use vacuum cleaner to dust and vacuum your space regularly
- Eliminate odors instead to trying to mask them
Best Air Purifiers in India 2020
1. Philips AC1215/20 Air purifier
The Philips Air Purifier Series 1000 with professional-grade sensing performance, automatically monitors and purifies the air. Ideal for bedrooms ( upto area of 333 sq. fts), with quiet NightSense auto-mode.
With Night sensing mode technology, especially designed for your bedroom for constant air quality monitoring and clean air delivery while you sleep.
- Vitashield Intelligent purification automatically senses air quality and NanoProtect Pro Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr.
- This Air purifer effectively removes ultra-fine particles as small as 0.02um, harmful gases such as formaldehyde and TVOC.
- 4 Stage Filtration process through pre filter, activated carbon filter & double layered H13 Grade TRUE HEPA Filter removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses as well as 99.99% pollen and house dust mites.
- Its smart air sensor can detect PM2.5 levels and boost the air purifier’s speed to deal with the pollution.
- It has 4-color air quality indicator, which gives real time air quality feedback.
- Features like healthy air protect alert lets you know promptly when it is time to replace the filter.
- Child lock feature prevents unintended changes in settings.
2. Mi Air Purifier 3 with Smart App Connectivity
Mi Air Purifier 3 comes with an ultra clear OLED display with touch control and can also be controlled via app.
- True HEPA Filter with filtration efficiency of 99.97% for particle size up to 0.3 microns.
- Provides 360 Degree Air intake with 3 Layer Filtration.
- With high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 380 m3/h, its performance is unmatched.
- Its is suitable and effective for coverage area upto 484 sqft.
- This Air Purifier is Quiet and energy efficient.
- Can be control with Google assistant and Amazon Alexa.
3. Dyson TP03 Air Purifier
Dyson's intelligent purification technology automatically removes 99.95% of allergens & pollutants as small as PM 0.1 (0.1 microns) including dust, pollen, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, VOCs and other harmful gases/odors.
- Its Air Multiplier technology and oscillation features powerfully project and circulate purified air throughout the room.
- Dyson TP03 has dual functionality with fan feature.
- Dyson purifiers have a lower face velocity with a high efficiency HEPA filter, which results in trapping 99.95% of potentially harmful ultrafine pollutants as small as PM 0.1 in the filter.
- It has 360° Glass HEPA Filter & Tris-coated Activated Carbon Filter. The H-13 Glass HEPA Filter is pleated over 200 times and densely packed with borosilicate microfibres.
- This smart air purifier from Dyson automatically monitors, reacts & purifies. Dyson link app provides real-time air quality reports and allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone.
- This air purifier is certified by Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
4. Philips AC2887/20 Air purifier
This Philips 2000 Series air purifier is engineered with 3 smart pre-settings that you can choose from ( General, Allergen, and Bacteria & Virus modes). So now with the relevant automode, ensure you and your family always breathe cleaner air at home.
- Vitashield IPS with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Filter has a boosted clean air delivery rate up to 344 m3/h, which makes it ideal for your master bedroom.
- This Air Purifier can effectively remove ultra-fine particles as small as 20nm, and reduce harmful gases such as formaldehyde, TVOC and odor.
- High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestant (HEPA) filter in the Purifier effectively captures the bacteria and virus by 99.9%, ensuring cleaner air output.
- With AeraSense feature it accurately identifies fine particles that are even smaller than PM2.5 (including most common indoor airborne allergens) and ensures that the purifier’s settings are at the ideal level for current air conditions, and for continuous re-assurance.
- When in silent mode, the purifier turns down its fan speed and noise level to allow a comfortable night's sleep.
- In this air purifier, filter life is accurately calculated based on indoor pollution level, air flow and operation time.
- Features like healthy air protect alert, lets you know promptly when it is time to replace the filter. If the filter is not replaced promptly, the appliance stops functioning -to avoid ineffective purification. So you are assured of healthier air always.
5. Coway Sleek Pro AP-1009 Air Purifier
Coway is also one of the renowned brand in the world for Air Purifiers. Its amazing 3 stage filtration is the key features of this air purifier.
- Air purification method use is Green Anti-flu True HEPA Technology.
- This model of Coway air purifier with a CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) of 303 cubic m/hr is suitable for bed rooms and small offices.
Its unique 3 Stage Filtration includes:
- Pre Filter that cleans larger dust and heavy particles.
- Patented Urethane Carbon Filter (To Deodorize the air - 98% Efficiency) and removes bad odor.
- Multi Layer HEPA filter effectively traps PM2.5 particles allowing only clean air to pass through.
6. Philips AC3259/20 WiFi Enabled & App Connected Air Purifier
Breathe the difference and connect to cleaner air with Philips 3000i series, which automatically monitors and purifiers the air.
- With AeraSense worldclass sensing technology and the connected app provide you with real-time air quality and allergen information anytime, anywhere.
- Vitashield Intelligent Purification removes 99.97% airborne pollutants as small as 0.003 micron such as PM2.5, pollen, dust mites, etc.
- Ideal for living room/master bedroom ( recommended area: 333-505 sq ft ).
- Purifies a standard room in just 8 minutes with a CADR of 393 m3/hour.
- Effectively removes 99.90% bacteria and viruses, (tested to remove H1N1 virus).
7. Dyson Pure Cool Wi-fi/Bluetooth Enabled Air Purifier
Dyson air purifiers are designed to work in real homes (POLAR tested – 27 m2 room with 9 sensors and no separate fan). Purified air is powerfully projected to every corner of the room ensuring PROPER, WHOLE-ROOM purification.
- Dyson purifiers have Air Multiplier technology that delivers over 360 litres per second of smooth, yet powerful airflow – circulating purified air throughout the whole room properly.
- Automatically senses, captures and projects, then reports to your Dyson Link app in real-time. Easy to pair & connect with Wi-fi & Bluetooth enabled capability.
- Adjustable oscillation angles - 45°, 90°, to 350°, to help project purified air around the whole room. Personalized angle feature by using Dyson Link App.
- It also automatically detects & reports air quality levels in real time on PM 2.5 - PM 10, VOC & NO2. Also displays overall AQI (updated every 12 seconds) & 24-hour AQI graph on screen.
- The fully-sealed filter system combines a Tris-impregnated activated carbon filter to remove gases/VOCs/odors, and a Glass HEPA filter that captures 99.95% of microscopic allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns.
- Quick and easy filter changing with the help of built-in notification (on LCD & app) when they require replacing.
Best Air Purifiers in India 2020 - Buying Guide
Types of air purifiers
Room Air Purifier : Used indoors, this type of air purifier is capable of cleansing the air in large areas like a room.
Car Air Purifier : Designed to be used in an enclosed vehicle and capable of cleaning the air of pollutants, allergens and dust. Designed to be compact and portable, they usually run on electricity and are plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle for power.
What to look for when buying one of the Best Air Purifiers?
One should should consider below vital factors, so as to have a basic information on technology and features involved when a buying a best Air Purifier for your home or offices.
Find the Right Filter Technologies used in Air Purifiers
HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters efficiently clean allergens such as pollen, animal skin and dander, mold spores, and dust. HEPA filters remove at least 99.9% of all the particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Air purifier using HEPA filters have to be periodically changed.
HEPA certified filters work well for all common particle allergens, but remember not all HEPA filters are created equal.
The larger the HEPA filter, the more particulate it will be able to remove. The size, material, and construction of the actual filter plays a vital role in the air purifier's performance.
Activated Carbon Filters
Activated Carbon Filters are rarely used by themselves, but are often used in combination with other filters.
This filters help in absorbing odors and gases thereby neutralizing smoke, chemicals, and fumes.
Reacts with oxygen to open up millions of pores that are capable of trapping a large amount of gas and odor.
This makes it the ideal surface for bonding with chemical or vapour molecules.
Needs to be replaced once they are saturated for optimal performance.
Antibacterial and Germicidal Filters
Antibacterial and Germicidal Filters help in eliminating harmful bacteria and germs.
Using UV filters along with HEPA filters ensures the air you breathe is sterile.
Used in hospitals, kitchens, labs and daycare schools to minimize the risk of airborne infections.
Charged Media Filters
Charged Media Filters combine a particle filter along with an electrostatic charge filter to capture particles as small as 0.1 microns.
They are very efficient in purifying air, but need to be replaced fairly regularly to ensure optimal performance.
Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) makes use of a titanium dioxide coated metal plate along with UV light to oxidize and physically break down chemicals during the filtration process.
By doing so larger molecules break down into harmless carbon dioxide and water molecules.
Electrostatic Precipitators function just like charged media filters but instead of using filters to capture particles, the particles precipitate and accumulate on the collector plates.
These plates can be washed clean and do not need to be replaced.
Pre-Filters, like foam and non-woven polyester, eliminate large particles like pet hair before the next stage of filtration.
Some have electrostatic properties and use activated carbon to improve filtration and also remove odors and smoke.
They need to be replaced regularly to increase the air purifiers lifespan.
Ion Generators and Ozone Generators
Ion and Ozone Generators clean the air by forcing impurities to cling to nearby surfaces.
The negative ions combine with impurities such as dust and smoke particles and stick to walls and carpets. They may create dirty spots on these surfaces which need to be cleaned.
Organic particles like bacteria, viruses, dust mites and mold are eliminated by passing air over an inner ceramic plate that heats up to nearly 400 degree celsius.
It works slowly as it relies on convection to keep the air circulating.
The main drawback is that it is not effective against chemical vapors, smoke and other non-organic particles.
Air Purifiers which produce Ozone as their main product/by-product are strictly not recommended.
Filtration technology which is ozone free and uses HEPA and Activated Carbon Filters is more effective and widely used option. HEPA filter based Air Purifiers are the only type of Air Purifiers which meet specific health and safety standards.
When choosing an air purifier, the size of the room is an important factor. Bigger spaces will need larger air purifiers and vice versa. Buy an air purifier that designed to operate in a space that is 20-40% larger than room for optimal performance.
Air Change Rate
The ACH (or the air change per hour rate) tells you exactly how many times the air purifier filters the entire room’s air in one hour. If an air purifier that has 5 ACH, it means that the air in the room will be filtered every twelve minutes.
Indoor Air Quality Indicator
A light indicator changes color in response to the indoor air quality, so that you can adjust the fan speed accordingly. A higher-end Air Purifier is usually equipped with an Auto Mode function, which would adjust the speed setting in response to the indoor air quality automatically.
Some newer models are also available in the market with numerical PM 2.5 display. These help you measure and see exactly how bad the air is.
Filter Replacement & Customer Service
A filter needs to be changed usually after every 12-18 months, so the filters should be readily available. One should always look out for pre and post sale demonstration / installation service option provided by the manufacturer.
As Air Purifier is a costly product and a longer period warranty coverage is beneficial so that you do not face any issues and can be assured that your product runs smoothly for years.
Factors affecting Individual Situation
For people suffering from Asthma - Air Purifiers with true HEPA ‑ filters are excellent in removing asthma triggers . Also, Ozone based purifiers should be strictly avoided as ozone released from them is harmful for us.
People who are prone to allergies - Air Purifiers are effective for helping relieve year-round allergies, including allergies from pollen and dust. Models that feature HEPA ‑filter technology trap nearly 100% of allergens smaller than the human eye can see.
Construction Area - A pre filter is a must for people residing in construction areas as there is a lot of dust. HEPA ‑filter helps in removing pollution arising from vehicular emission.
Factory area/area with issue of gases with smell - Activated Carbon ‑filter is a must as it can absorb those harmful gases on it’s surface. Be sure to check the filter before purchasing.
People with pets at home - Activated carbon filters absorb pet odours and produce fresh-smelling, healthy air throughout your home. Pre filter traps the hair and dander
Family members - Young children at home, patients of lower immunity, transplant patients, dialysis & cancer patients, people who want a healthy lifestyle.
What are the additional features to consider when buying a Best Air Purifiers in India?
Depending on the type of filter, they will need to be changed to ensure consistent purifying of your air. So you always stay on top of it, a filter life indicator automatically alerts you when it’s time to change the filter.
While your air purifier is running, special sensors monitor the air and automatically adjust the cleaning speed accordingly.
Adjust how rapidly you want your air to be filtered with multiple speed settings.
Whisper-quiet operation on some air purifier models makes them ideal for babies, small children, and light sleepers.
Some models come with sensor lights that tell you, at a glance, what the air quality is like in a room.
How to get the most out of your Air Purifier?
Clean or replace filters regularly : As a general rule, you should replace them (or clean those that can be vacuumed) every six to 12 months for pleated filters and every three months for carbon filters.
Place it wisely : If you have just one unit, place it in the room where you spend the most time. For most people, that’s the bedroom. Make sure to place the air purifier in a spot where nothing can obstruct airflow—away from curtains, for instance. For more, read our article on how to choose the best air purifier for your home.
Keep your purifier running 24/7 : Keep doors and windows closed while it’s in use. We suggest running the unit on the high setting when you’re not in the room and turning it down to low when you’re nearby. Or buy an air purifier certified for a larger area so that you can run it on a low speed and still have it work effectively.
Vacuum regularly. No air purifiers can remove the larger allergens—dust mites and pet hair, for example—that settle on furniture and carpets unless it gets disturbed and redistributed into the air. Use a vacuum with a HEPA-certified filtration once or twice a week to clean floors and furniture.
Use an exhaust fan in the kitchen. Do the same in bathrooms and laundry rooms.
Stop smoking indoors. That also goes for burning candles and wood fires.
Ventilate. Open your windows on nice days to let in clean, dry outdoor air. If pollen or related allergies keep you from opening windows, run your air conditioner or forced-air cooling system with a clean air filter
Reduce the use of chemicals. Limit chemical-heavy cleaning products, and don’t store paint, glues, or insecticides near your living quarters.
The air outdoor is so polluted, how much of a difference can an indoor Air Purifier make?
On an average we spend close to 80% of our time indoors (home, offce, etc.), children and babies spend even more time indoors.
With an Air Purifier, you can control the quality of air indoors and protect your family, and it is indoor air which is more polluted than outdoor air as per data sources.
What other features may I look into before buying an Air Purifier?
Features like caster wheels, handles for easy mobility, digital controls, remote controls, timer settings, multiple fan speeds may be additional features which one can look for while buying Air Purifiers.
Does my Air Conditioner not act as an Air Purifier?
1. Purification is dependent on the quality of the filters. Air Purifiers have very high quality HEPA filters which naturally catch very small dust particles, most bacteria and even some viruses.
ACs with purification system do not have such advanced filters and rely on chemicals to kill bacteria and viruses, producing Ozone which in turn can also be harmful.
2. ACs cannot be run through the year, but you need pure air throughout the year. Even in summers, the electricity cost of running an AC is much more than running a 40-50W Air Purifier
Many Air Purifiers have a HEPA filter. How to differentiate?
There are a lot of Air Purifiers out there which are advertised as having HEPA filters, but actually don’t. Usually these are disguised as having HEPA-like filters, and don’t meet strict HEPA standards.
How long do the fiters last?
Filter life is proportional to the pollutant holding capacity and the pollution level in your surroundings.
TRUE HEPA filter has high capacity, thus the long filter life. A filter will last longer in a relatively cleaner area. In general, filters last for 12-18 months with 6-8 hours daily average usage
Breathing clean healthier air indoors will make me more vulnerable to diseases or reduce my immunity when I breathe the outside polluted air ?
Actually, it is the average exposure during the day that is most important for your health.
The World Health Organization defines their guidelines for air pollution levels based on the 24-hour average value.
By breathing clean healthier air inside you can reduce your daily average exposure level and do the best to protect your health.
What are the differences between an Air Purifier and Humidifier?
Air Purifiers are used to clean indoor air, but do not optimize humidity levels. They remove particles, dust, and smoke from the air, as well as allergic substances like animal dander and pollen.
Humidifiers increase the humidity level by distributing water into dry air.
Can you run the Air Purifier throughout the day?
You can. The power consumption is very low, so long usage doesn’t cause a heavy impact on electricity bill.
As compared to an AC which consumes 2000W power, an Air Purifier consumes 1/40th of it (~50 W). So power consumption per hour of an AC is equivalent to 40 hours of power consumption by an Air Purifier.
The filter life is dependent on usage/quality of air and that should be kept in mind
A lot of Air Purifiers produce ozone as the main element or as a by-product. Should I be concerned?
One should be careful while buying Air Purifiers which release ozone, since ozone may cause serious health issues like permanent lung damage or aggravate asthma.
Ozone reacts with organic matter both outside and inside the body, resulting in harmful health consequences.
Does CADR vary with fan speed?
CADR is specified for the highest speed setting. But users will often use lower settings to reduce noise, and this can reduce the efficiency of an Air Purifier
An air purifier is a valuable investment that will reduce the prevalence of irritants in your home. With all the relevant and extensive information now available online at the glance, buying the Best Air Purifier for your homes or offices shouldn't be a confusing task.